St. John’s Medical Center was established in 1916 as part of St. John’s Episcopal Church. Although the hospital no longer has a direct affiliation with the church, it has retained the original name. In 1976, St. John’s became the Teton County Hospital District, and does business as St. John’s Medical Center, with a publicly elected Board of Trustees. In the year 2000, St. John’s Hospital changed its name to St. John’s Medical Center to reflect a growing array of services and our regional customer base. In early 2005, a major renovation and expansion of the medical center was completed.
The current facility, which was built in 1991, now has 108 beds: 48 Acute Care/Primary Care Unit beds and 60 long-term care beds in the Living Center. In fiscal year 2015, St. John’s medical staff performed 2,793 surgeries and delivered 467 babies. The hospital had 1,847 admissions, with inpatient days totaling 5,261 and an average length stay of 2.77 days.